[September 11, 1922 – New Zealand Herald] An annexe to the Methodist Orphanage at Mount Albert was formally opened on Saturday. For the purposes of the annexe, which was necessitated by the growing needs of the orphanage, the board of management recently acquired the property adjoining the home, in Alexandra Avenue, Mount Albert, of the late Mr. James and formerly known as “Hillfont.” Dr. C. H. Laws, president of the Methodist Conference, occupied the chair at the opening ceremony, which was attended by a large gathering.
Dr. Laws said that orphanage work and work among the children lay near to the heart of every good citizen, and from the very beginning the orphanage at Mount Albert had been most successful.
The Rev. G. Bond, superintendent of the home missions fund, spoke of the occasion as a red-letter day, describing the work among the young as a most Christlike work. He eulogised the efficiency of the staff in charge of the home.
The annexe, known as the new Epworth Home, was then declared open by Mrs. A. C. Caughey, who referred to the fact that nine years previously she had performed a similar act at the opening of the adjoining Wesley Home.
The children of the orphanage sang an opening chorus, and at the conclusion of the ceremony gave three rousing cheers in honour of the occasion. Afternoon tea was dispensed by a ladies’ committee. The recently acquired property, which has a commanding position, giving extensive views, comprises 18 rooms. It was purchased for £2750, while over £1000 has been expended in enlarging and modernising it to adapt it to the requirements of an orphanage. Besides a large dining room there are playing rooms, while the dormitories are lofty and airy. The baths and lavatories are on up-to-date lines. A feature of the building is the fire exits, designed to give rapid egress in the event of fire. The grounds are well laid out, and provide tennis courts and other playing areas.
Thirty-six children are accommodated in the old home and 17 in the new portion, with room in the latter for ten more. A piano has been provided, and the children are encouraged to compete in outside activities. The orphanage is under the management of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Armitage and a capable staff, comprising a house mother, Mrs. Hutchens, and four others.